March 19, 2021

We have received an interim decision from the city of Wilmington that our permit application for this year’s Delaware Running Festival unfortunately has been denied. Local authorities have pledged to continue to monitor key COVID metrics and allow us to run live if changes to those metrics allow us safely to host our event on April 24-25.

We remain hopeful as local conditions improve that our application and proposed mitigation steps will be reconsidered for hosting a live event April 24-25. Please be aware that if the event does occur on April 24-25 race logistics will be modified to fit state health regulations. We will continue to communicate with state health regulators and await their future guidance.

We understand participants need to plan and finalize their travel in advance for various reasons. If we are not permitted to run on April 24-25, we will plan to run the race live on a date (TBA) in late May or early June. Our final decision about hosting a live running festival will be announced no later than April 1.

Please CLICK HERE to learn more about your various options.



March 3, 2021

As spring quickly approaches, we are all anxious to return to in-person running events. We are encouraged by positive trends such as the steady decline in the coronavirus positivity rate, the weekly increase in national vaccine distribution efforts, and local professional teams allowing fans in the stands for the upcoming season.

We have had discussions with key groups to present our additional mitigation steps to comply with COVID-19 guidelines for a safe outdoor event. For example, one proposed major adjustment includes the introduction of wave starts to promote socially distanced participation while on the course.

If we run live, we will move the 5K to a twilight event with wave starts on Saturday, April 24 to stretch the event over two days and further promote social distancing. If you have registered for that distance, or are waiting to register for it, please note the date change.

We remain hopeful that we will be permitted to run live but still do not have the necessary confirmations from the city. That said, we are determined to stay the course. We’ll provide immediate updates of the festival’s permit application status as soon as decisions are made by key parties. Thank you for your patience and support of the Delaware Running Festival.