March 3, 2021

As spring quickly approaches, we are all anxious to return to in-person running events. We are encouraged by positive trends such as the steady decline in the coronavirus positivity rate, the weekly increase in national vaccine distribution efforts, and local professional teams allowing fans in the stands for the upcoming season.

We have had discussions with key groups to present our additional mitigation steps to comply with COVID-19 guidelines for a safe outdoor event. For example, one proposed major adjustment includes the introduction of wave starts to promote socially distanced participation while on the course.

If we run live, we will move the 5K to a twilight event with wave starts on Saturday, April 24 to stretch the event over two days and further promote social distancing. If you have registered for that distance, or are waiting to register for it, please note the date change.

We remain hopeful that we will be permitted to run live but still do not have the necessary confirmations from the city. That said, we are determined to stay the course. We’ll provide immediate updates of the festival’s permit application status as soon as decisions are made by key parties. Thank you for your patience and support of the Delaware Running Festival.